If your house smells musty but you can't locate the source, then you should take a look down in the crawlspace.
Especially in areas with high humidity, mold can grow down in the dark void below your home, and eventually you will be able to smell it inside the house.
Not only does mold smell bad, but it can also lead to structural issues for your home and health issues for your family.
Checking for Mold in the Crawlspace
You can easily check for mold in the crawlspace by lighting it up with a flashlight and looking for mold growing on wooden framing and joists, the underside of the floor, and on the bare ground.
If you see mold, then you have two options for removing it:
- contact a mold damage remediation company (1-800-BUSY-DOG, for example)
- tackle the job yourself as a DIY project
If you have a DIY spirit and feel comfortable working in the confined space under your home, then you can treat smaller mold problems yourself. However, if the mold damage is excessive or has resulted in wood damage, then a mold remediation professional is required.
The Process of Removing Crawlspace Mold
To safely remove crawlspace mold, follow these simple steps:
Step 1: Put on a protective jumpsuit, respirator or mask, goggles, and gloves.
Step 2: Lay plastic sheeting on the ground under any structures you will be remediating.
Step 3: Spray all of the moldy areas with a mold removal product purchased at your local home improvement or hardware store. Let the product sit in accordance with the instructions on the container.
Step 4: Use a stiff bristle brush to remove any visible mold. Scrub each affected area well to ensure all of the mold spores that will regrow have been removed.
If there are areas where mold is still visible, repeat this process until all of the mold has been removed.
Step 5: Fold up all of the plastic sheeting and put it into a black trash bag.
As soon as you come out of the crawlspace, anything contaminated with mold should also be put into the trash bag.
Seal the bag with tape and put it inside your trash can.
Step 6: Finally, if you want to use the brush for other projects around the house, then it will need to be soaked in a solution of bleach and water to remove any mold spores that are stuck to it.Share